My main concern was that I wouldn't be able to eat all the berries before they went off so I wanted to use them asap. I started out by making a blackberry coulis and it was only after I discounted the idea of making a cheesecake (too much effort with the base) that I decided to go for cheesecake ice cream instead. It tasted like frozen cheesecake, nothing more, nothing less. However, Miss L said it is the best tasting ice cream she has ever eaten in her life! I guess a massive compliment like that must means that it was a worthwhile exercise right?
Blackberry coulis (ended up being twice as much as I actually needed, the rest is in the freezer ready to be turned into sorbet!)
- A punnet of blackberries
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice / juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
Procedure: put it all together in a blender or food processor, pulverise until the sugar looks like it has dissolved. Add more sugar / lemon to taste. Strain to get the seeds and leftover pulpy bits out (this is not essential, but I like a smooth coulis).
Cheesecake ice cream
Note: this is an egg free philly type ice cream. As I mentioned I wasn't feeling particularly energetic so a full on custard based ice cream was definitely out of the question for today!
- 2 packets of philly cream cheese
- 1 small tub sour cream
- 1/2 small tub regular cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Lime zest
- Splash of vanilla
- Soften cream cheese (or just buy the spreadable ones). Beat this in a stand or hand mixer to get the lumps out.
- Throw in everything else and mix.
- Churn in ice cream maker.
- Mix in coulis right at the end before putting in freezer.