Saturday 22 September 2012

Blackberry cheesecake ice cream

Excess blackberries = jam? coulis? ice cream? sorbet? pie? Unfortunately Parkside didn't have any raspberries when we went there last weekend (see post here) and in the absence of raspberries I picked up a bunch of blackberries instead. At home I used to buy the frozen berries and use them for pancakes and milkshakes, but it felt like such a waste ... but not being in a particularly adventurous mood I ended up with the tried and tested anyway.

My main concern was that I wouldn't be able to eat all the berries before they went off so I wanted to use them asap. I started out by making a blackberry coulis and it was only after I discounted the idea of making a cheesecake (too much effort with the base) that I decided to go for cheesecake ice cream instead. It tasted like frozen cheesecake, nothing more, nothing less. However, Miss L said it is the best tasting ice cream she has ever eaten in her life! I guess a massive compliment like that must means that it was a worthwhile exercise right?

Blackberry coulis (ended up being twice as much as I actually needed, the rest is in the freezer ready to be turned into sorbet!)

  • A punnet of blackberries

  • 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice / juice from 1 lemon

  • 1/3 cup caster sugar




Procedure: put it all together in a blender or food processor, pulverise until the sugar looks like it has dissolved. Add more sugar / lemon to taste. Strain to get the seeds and leftover pulpy bits out (this is not essential, but I like a smooth coulis).

Cheesecake ice cream

Note: this is an egg free philly type ice cream. As I mentioned I wasn't feeling particularly energetic so a full on custard based ice cream was definitely out of the question for today!

Ingredients:

  • 2 packets of philly cream cheese

  • 1 small tub sour cream

  • 1/2 small tub regular cream

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • Lime zest

  • Splash of vanilla



Procedure:

  1. Soften cream cheese (or just buy the spreadable ones). Beat this in a stand or hand mixer to get the lumps out.

  2. Throw in everything else and mix.

  3. Churn in ice cream maker.

  4. Mix in coulis right at the end before putting in freezer.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment