Sunday 16 September 2012

Bubble tea boost - Cha Time

Bubble tea is awesome. My cousin in HK first introduced me to it many years ago and then it a chain store called Easyway opened up right next door to uni in Sydney's eastern suburbs (and various other locations). For the uninitiated, the basic bubble tea is a cold (sometimes hot) milk tea with tapioca pearls in it. The variety is amazing though in both tea and toppings - I think the weirdest sickly sweet combo I've seen anyone order is grape tea with rainbow jelly and pearls. Here's a sample of regular bubble tea, and a roasted milk tea with grass jelly.



A few years post-uni I saw a new shop in Chatswood, Cha Time. I fell in love. I went to Cha Time every weekend to get a bubble tea or my other favourite, roasted green milk tea with grass jelly (sounds gross but its awesome. Really). All my bubble tea dreams came true when a Cha Time opened up next to work (now we weren't limited to just Easyway!), and I dragged my Malaysian desk buddy there constantly. After she left, I took my Australian desk buddy there too.

Unfortunately, I left Cha Time behind when I came to London. I was super disappointed when I was taken to a bubble tea place that was "good for London" and haven't been back since ... that was months ago. But you know what? Someone else told me last week that Cha Time was in London! I made it there within 3 hours of finding thsi out, then went back again the next day only to run into a whole bunch of Sydneysider friends who had independently gone to pay a visit. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Cha Time lady recognises me now after I asked her for the nth time whether she had a loyalty scheme...

Its not quite the same as Sydney Cha Time but it'll do. For those that are interested, Cha Time is located in Soho, link to the website is here. In the meantime, here's a quick happy snap of Mr T and a couple of our friends enjoying their Cha Times on a sunny Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment