Saturday 15 September 2012

Malaysian care package - prawn rolls, prawn crackers and laksa

Another super exciting thing that happened the other week was my bag of goodies from Mr N. He has just moved to London from Malaysia and had brought me a stack of all my favourite things. Mrs A and I had gone on a trip to her family home in Malaysia last year and this is where I discovered …..

  1. Mini spicy prawn rolls.




These were THE tastiest little morsels that I ate at breakfast every morning. I had to exercise a massive degree of self control as the family only managed to get them when someone had been to Singapore.

I will try and make these one day; I think it'll have to be a weekend where I can sit in front of the tv and roll, roll, roll!

Incidentally my flatmate had gone on holiday to Malaysia and surrounding countries in April so it was only 12 months since I had eaten these. Here are the ones that she had brought back for me – it was the only thing I could think of to request! Apparently it wasn’t a particularly easy task to source these either so I’m very grateful.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2. Prawn crackers

Malaysian prawn crackers how I love thee. Thick, crunchy, packs a punch in terms of flavour, I think I’ve eaten at least half a bag in one sitting before. Even Radley here is disinterested in getting a hug or looking at the camera – this fussy dog just wants the prawn crackers!



 

3. Laksa paste



While this may not look like much right now, it is the basis for my favourite laksa. Not just any laksa, but Kuching laksa, which tastes quite different from the ‘generic’ laksa that you buy in the shop. The ingredients seem simple enough but there is definitely something about it that puts me into laksa happiness every time.

I was lucky enough to be given more than 10 packets of paste, so I can probably make it last 12 months if I only eat laksa once every 5-6 weeks. However given that I do like to share laksa and other food joys, realistically I might only be eating laksa every 2-3 months with a bunch of other people. Plus my Malaysian friends have to be around to help make it and eat it right?

I'll post about laksa making next time we eat laksa; in the meantime here is a quick happy snap of the a laksa made by Mr T (apologies for the photo quality; I was so eager to eat that I forgot to take the photo until after I had started).

Thanks again to Mr N and family for the presents to feed this greedy guts, much appreciated!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment