Friday 5 October 2012

Cakey things

This has been a week of shopping excitement when it comes to cakey things. I feel like I haven’t shopped for ages, so when Amazon sent me an email recommending I buy the Hummingbird cake days book, I couldn't resist.  Being sucked into the website by then I also saw the Magnolia book so I got that too. And a new cranked handle spatula. And flower modelling tools. And piping tips. And.... do you reckon I could buy some time as well to now to put all these things into action?

On a side note, I’ve found it really bizarre that its so difficult to shop for caking stuff in London, and on the odd occasion that I have managed to get something I need its been really really expensive. £4 for a balloon whisk at Sainsburys? £10 for a 8” round cake tin? No kidding. We went to the cake and bake show a couple of weeks ago (more on that another day) where I had hoped to find some inspiration and stuff to buy, but found myself more than a bit disappointed by what was there. Guess online is still the best!


I am particularly excited about the piping tips, I finally have a replacement 2D Wilton! Hurrah for fast roses on cupcakes (rather than individual buttercream petals) and no more plain boring swirls. Here’s a quick snap of the 2D.



Next step: go get a Hummingbird cupcake to analyse look and taste, make cupcakes and a big batch of buttercream / whipped cream to pipe, and find someone who needs to overload on sugar. Volunteers anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment