Sunday 14 October 2012

Easy egg whites

Anyone who is into making desserts will know the value of egg whites - macarons, fluffy sponges, meringues, pavlova, mousse etc. just to name a few. Egg are the one of the most versatile foods I know of, and egg whites enable wonderfully light and fluffy textures to be achieved in desserting and caking.

Problem: what to do with the egg yolks? There's only so much ice cream and custard I make, and if I'm completely yolked out, even chucking it into fried rice or instant noodles seems unappealing.

Solution: egg whites in a tetrapak - genius! I was so excited to see a flyer about this at the Cake & Bake show last month and when I saw it quite by accident in my local Waitrose when I was looking for something else, my day was completely made. The packet was even kind enough to rattle off some of the health benefits to me...

I can't wait to be able to weigh out egg whites for macarons without having to worry about how many dozens of eggs to buy. In fact, whats even better is that the pack has 15 liquid egg whites and the expiry date for the unopened pack isn't for another 4 weeks so I can go completely nuts on the desserts next weekend (have still yet to pick up a macaron piping tip and print out some templates for piping them).

Update - Two Chicks is awesome for desserts. It whips up superfast (like 30s vs 1-2 min for freshly cracked eggs), its easy to measure to the gram, and there's no wastage. Brilliant!

On a less eggy note, my friend JLO has a few food allergies (including eggs), so whilst this has solved the egg yolk wastage problem and facilitated easier dessert making, I've still got to hunt around for an alternative before doing some vegan style baking experiments with his partner Miss E. I've found that vegan cake has tended to have a heavier and denser texture and lack the springiness and lightness that eggs provide. I think its the "glueyness" of eggs in the batter that makes a difference, and there's no ingredient like it! I have read about the Ener-G egg replacer which I've never seen in shops (but is apparently on Amazon) and see how it goes.

In the meantime, any other suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment