Monday 24 December 2012

Junk food: Canada style

I've been in Toronto for the last week on an eating adventure / family holiday for Christmas, and today was the first day I stepped into a supermarket. According to my cousin, Tim Tams are sold in Loblaws, so I headed there to assess the situation. To my surprise and pleasure, they are actually IMPORTED - so theoretically they should taste the same as ones at home - as well as being a whole lot cheaper than London (CAD$4 vs £3.32 from the Australia store).

Needless to say, looking around the biscuit aisle I found a number of other things I wanted to buy and we walked away with two bags full of stuff. As if I didn't have enough from my Australian stash already (can you believe I'm actually having trouble getting through it all?!). Oh, the other thing I was excited about was finding Glad Wrap. Sounds ridiculous, but for some reason the UK glad wrap, sorry, cling wrap, just doesn't cling properly. People look at me weirdly when I talk about Glad Wrap - isn't it funny how we refer to brands rather than objects sometimes? Another one I used to think completely normal is Carnation milk, also known as evaporated milk. I tested the theory with a random (admittedly small) sample and 70% said Carnation milk.

gladwrap

Anyway, back to the supermarket spoils, lets start with the Canadian items (omg I just realised I forgot the maple syrup - this will have to be a job from the airport now!)

1. Caesar salad dressing: its Kraft, yes, but its manufactured in Canada, and it tastes different.
2. The Raptor dinosaur: no, he's not from the supermarket and he's not edible, but he's from the Raptors game we went to. Given that its the Toronto Raptors, I'm putting him in my Canadian pile.
3. Maple cream cookies: these are not for me but my friend Mr F thinks they're awesome so he can have these.

canadianmaple biscuits

4. Tim Hortons: a donut and coffee chain found in various servos and as standalone shops. My sister says the coffee is so bad its great (and addictive, possibly due to the MSG that is apparently in it). By the way, there are donut centres in the Timbits box, I took this more of the cool festive box that they came in. Mr T had gone to pick up my chocolate donut and they had run out - the crestfallen look on my face means he quickly rectified the situation when we found another Tim Hortons 500m down the road inside a servo. That did make me feel super spesh today... must be Christmas cheer.

donutscoffeetimbits5. Mrs Fields: I tend to eat these in Australia and Hong Kong but I have never ever seen these in a packet in a supermarket. Its totally my favourite kind of fudgy squishy supersweet coffee only to be eaten when you are in need of a mega sugar hit.

6. Concerto cookies: I have only seen these in Canada, but they're awesome. Think shortbread coated in chocolate, without the greasiness of shortbread. Add on pretty patterns and pictures embossed in the chocolate, what could be better?

mrsfieldsconcerto

m&m

7. Peanut butter M&Ms: I still love these, unhealthy as they are (actually I think everything I've talked about in this post is highly fat, sugar and cholesterol inducing). Available for the extortionate price of £2 for a tiny packet in London, here in Toronto I can have a mega pack anytime I want!!! I know Miss L would beg to differ with me but seriously they are so much better than Reese's pieces...

 

 

 

 

 

Of course I have a whole lot more things to talk about on the food front, but given that the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner is yet to come, I'll hold off until then!

Happy Christmas folks and hope you have a great one! x

No comments:

Post a Comment