Thursday 13 December 2012

Meeting Nigella Lawson

I met Nigella Lawson today, and it was like all my Christmases came at once.

While my lovely girlfriends here tend to prefer pretty boys and tennis stars, I'm a total and utter fangirl for are Nigella Lawson, domestic goddess, and Lisa Eldridge, make up artist extraordinare. I was really disappointed that I couldn't get to a Nigella book signing a couple of months ago when she was first doing signings all over the UK, so I was super excited when I read on twitter that she would be in Selfridges at 6pm today promoting her latest book Nigellissima - Instant Italian Inspiration.

To put this into context, last year when we were still in Sydney Mr T came home one night saying that one of his staff had gone to a Nigella Lawson signing in David Jones ... of course only knowing this after the fact it was far too late for me to get a pre-signed copy (yes, I should have known about it earlier and just taken the time off if I couldn't afford the waiting time at lunch). So I've actually been hanging out for this for a year!



I love Nigella - though I knew about her in my uni days I was never really into food and didn't pay too much attention. It was only until I started to cook myself and read Lorraine's blog www.notquitenigella.com when looking for restaurant reviews that I discovered the wonderful world of food and of course Nigella Lawson. Besides being utterly gorgeous, there's just something about Nigella's turn of phrase (describing pomegranate seeds as "ruby jewels" comes to mind) and watching her on tv invariably makes me want to immediately eat or make whatever she is making.

Fortunately I was able to wheedle my way into a 4pm departure from work today with a promise to make up the time later. I arrived at Selfridges at around 4.30pm, bought the book (you had to buy the book from there in order to get it signed) and patiently waited for 1.5 hours. This is the longest I have ever queued for anything in my life. Yes, I was the first person there! and the first in line after the special priority people who had picked up their book and wristbands a day before.



Nigella was as lovely in life as she is on tv, was so gracious and had time to chat to everybody and I'm very proud of my book cover. Thanks to Mr T for being kind enough to dash over from the office and make sure I got the photos.



The book actually looks pretty good too - in fact I might even start a mini project to cook my way through it. What do you reckon?

No comments:

Post a Comment