After fighting with the fitting of a pair of trousers (more on that another day) I decided it was time to make up something quick so I could retain my sewing enthusiasm! For me that means nothing overly fitted, no facings or fussy stuff, no slippery fabrics (that's a lot of "no" things).
Enter the By Hand Polly top. Whilst I have made some Colette Sorbetto tops I was not so sure about the panel in the Polly top but there are some wonderful makes out there so I decided to go for it.
The fabric is left over from my make of the Anna dress. I presume its some kind of polyester and it is a little crisp but it matches the texture of the Liberty Lawn panel (which I bought for my mother who decided later on she did not want on her shirt).
There is not too much to say about the make - it was a really easy sew. I always struggle with what finishing to use for armholes and necklines as I really really dislike the look and flappiness of facings.
However after making the Alder shirtdress which uses bias binding that is folded back on the inside and top stitched down I think I have found a new favourite method! Thanks to Jen from Grainline yet again. I do like being able to use contrast binding to keep interesting details on the inside.
While I am at it, there is something that bothers me about PDF patterns and I think I have a love hate relationship with them. I love that they are instant and downloadable, but I feel like I am wasting what feels like a lot of paper for a small pattern. I mean, check out all the paper for 1 top ...Having said that all the bits off the edge go into my compost so its not all bad. Can't win them all I guess....and its not stopping me from downloading any PDF only ones! In fact, since I am impatient and never home for parcels to arrive PDF patterns are a bit of a godsend.